In a stunning triumph for the upstart project of femme theory, femmes worldwide refuse to quantify their femininity!
OK, maybe this is a tad overstated. Still, I couldn’t help but notice that mostly butches/sporty butches were quick to take the Femme Quiz over at Kiss and Kvell and report back on their scores. Don’t get me wrong, I smiled with delight reading about The Gentleman‘s gender ephiphany and Alex‘s and Leo‘s pride at their scores (zero!). But, I wondered, why were femmes except the brave Aviva reluctant to do the same?
After detailed analysis of all available evidence and consultations with premier international femmeperts (experts on all things femme, mais bien sûr), here are my educated guesses:
1. We’re too busy being amazing to take a quiz, of course!
2. Femmes hate quizzes, surveys, etc. These tests are just so…mathematical. It’s like when the check comes after dinner; wouldn’t you rather reapply your lipstick than figure out the tip?
3. Sisterhood! Competitiveness between femmes is so 5 minutes ago. We refuse to take any quiz (however adorable) because we don’t want to participate, even inadvertently, in the heteropatriarchal project of ranking women/femininities. You see, we’re feminist *and* super smart, too!
4. We’re proud of being free-spirited and quirky; don’t pin us down! Sure, we’re femme, but some of us hate sweet drinks with umbrellas and fairy princesses, can’t afford to shop at Sephora or have weekly manicures, are turned on by other femmes, or want to wear our toolbelts and our garter belts, thank you very much!
5. Femmes have been reading Sublimefemme Unbound way too much and now cannot help themselves from generating nuanced political critiques of any and everything femme. This gets in the way of filling out whimsical quizzes, alas.
6. Why bother to take a quiz when you know you’re an icon of fabulosity? And you all are, my lovelies, no matter what your “score!”
What do you think? Please add your own thoughts!