I’ve been spending a lot of time in the kitchen lately. No kidding; I’m a regular domestic goddess, I swear! I even took time off from grading final exams to make beautiful vegetable tarts for dinner last night. A femme should seize every opportunity to tart it up, don’t you think? 😉
Dear Cindy, I don’t get a lot of unenlightened and hateful comments. So I’ll admit, I was shocked when you left the following comment in response to my post “No, I’m not a lipstick lesbian (I just look like one)”:
i am so glad there is a web site for femmenine lesbians i am a lesbian and i like femmenine lesbians and i despise butch lesbians.
I have been looking at your comment for days, wondering how on earth you could think that (1) it’s OK to be so derogatory and rejecting toward other members of our community (2) liking femmes necessarily means hating butches (3) I would share or tolerate your views!
If you actually read my blog, you’ll discover that I’m pro-butch. All of us who appreciate the appeal of butches, bois, studs, androgynous dykes, and tomboys have our own reasons for favoring their genderqueer charms. One of my favorite pieces on this subject is Julia Watson’s Why I Love Butch Women, and Other Endangered Species. For me, the allure of butches is both about who they are and who they have helped me to be.
So, Cindy, I just wanted you to know why I didn’t publish your comment. SF Unbound is a butch-positive space that celebrates the gender diversity of our community. Plus, I think butches are über hot.
Yes, my lovelies, the holiday season is upon us. Van and I just got our xmas tree today (Van’s all about the tree), so it’s officially time for SF’s holiday how- to. I don’t think I can top last year’s guide and really, why mess with a good thing, right? Enjoy!
Getting Your Femme On for the Holidays in 5 Easy Steps:
- Embellish. More is more. Pull out those dressy accessories and wow coworkers at the annual holiday party with a fab new look that says, “the only good thing about having to go to this party was dressing for it!”
- Take Risks. Those super high stilettos that you can barely walk on? Now’s the time to wear them! People will be too drunk to notice you’re wobbling.
- Think Glitter. The holiday season is your chance to show your more glamorous side. And nothing says ”happy holidays” like sequins and glitter eyeliner.
- Be a Sex Kitten. Show cleavage. Wear the fishnets. Who cares if people gossip about you the next day?
- Embrace Artifice. Pull out your metallic eyeshadows and spritz on a bold fragrance. Anyone who tells you to keep your look ”natural” for the holidays is boring. Why be low-key when you can be fabulous?
Disclaimer: By choosing to ”get your femme on,” you assume all risks associated with being a sexy, sparkly femme.
Sublimefemme Unbound shall not in any event be liable for any direct or indirect damages arising from your unbridled femmeness, including excessive and irresponsible shoe purchases, overaccessorizing, death by glitter, or trip and falls resulting from women and/or other variously gendered people throwing themselves at your feet.